When looking to design a website for personal use or for a business here are six common mistakes to avoid making sure that your website is a success:
1. Do Not Forget To Update Your Content On A Regular Basis. If your website is well established, it is important to be sure that your content is fresh. If some of your items have been around since the creation of your website some years ago, it is important to replace that information with something more relevant. Readers want to be informed and kept up to date on the newest, greatest information, so your website will need to reflect current trends.
2. Do Not Use Unfriendly Navigation Tools. Readers do not want to get lost on your website. Be sure to place navigation tools clearly in the form of buttons or drop down menus. Make sure your topics are placed under the correct, clearly labeled headings.
3. Try To Avoid Creating Your Own Website Without The Proper Skills. If you choose to create your own website, especially for a business, it may be in your best interest to hire a professional to do the design. The professional can offer skills that will create a professional looking and highly functional website. It will also save you time in order to address other concerns of your business.
4. No Blank Pages. Having blank pages on your website takes up time and money. This also makes it seem that your website is not maintained on a regular basis. Blank pages should be filled with content or deleted.
5. No Large Pages. When creating a website, it is easy to want to include as much as possible on the front page. If your page contains so much information that customers have to scroll from left to right to see all of the content, you will probably lose some viewership. It is better to create clear headings with buttons that easily link to alternate pages with the sought out information.
6. Do Not Use Large Images. Using images that are too large will take time to load on website pages. It is better to make the icon smaller than to lose viewers who are unwilling to wait for the image to appear. In this technology era, consumers want to see things quickly and your website should be able to provide that service.